top of page
  • Writer's pictureCharlene Tan

Travel Exemptions for Parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents

Updated: Nov 9, 2021

Australian citizens and Permanent residents Parents

Effective 1 November 2021, parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents are included as “immediate family members” for the purpose of reviewing exemptions to Australia’s travel restrictions only.

Parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents are those who are:

  • biological parents

  • legal (including adoptive) parents

  • step-parents

  • Parents-in-law

Before travelling, you must confirm your relationship with your adult Australian child by submitting a travel exemption request. You must submit your request through the Travel Exemption Portal. Select the category “I am an immediate family member” and then “parent of an adult Australian citizen or permanent resident”.

The following evidence must be provided:

  • your adult child’s Australian citizenship or permanent residency; and

  • your parental relationship to the Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Examples of evidence that you can provide include:

  • Proof that your child is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as:

    • Australian passport

    • Australian citizenship certificate

    • Australian birth certificate

    • Evidence of permanent residence in Australia


  • Evidence of your parental relationship with the Australian citizen or permanent resident such as:

    • Birth certificate

    • Adoption certificate

    • Marriage certificate

    • Family status certificate or family book if officially issued and maintained.

Note that you cannot travel to Australia unless you have applied for and been granted a travel exemption. You will also need a valid visa to enter Australia.

Things to consider when supplying evidence

When assessing exemption requests, the following information will not be considered in your favour:

  • False or misleading information and documents representing circumstances that never existed or no longer exist

  • Inappropriate images

Providing ineligible, irrelevant, unreadable and/or duplicate information will delay the assessment process. The information and documents must be written in English or accompanied by the corresponding English translations.

Wayfinder Migration is happy to assist those who wish to undertake international travel. We know this is an exciting time for everyone. However, it is important that you are fully aware of the implications of travelling before making any plans.

Please note, this should be taken as a generic guide and is not considered or official advice. Travel advice is evolving constantly, as such, proper assessment should be undertaken at all times.

Still unsure? Feel free to book in a consultation for detailed advise and steps!

49 views0 comments


bottom of page